Orange Cake - Dairy and Gluten Free
Ingredients for a 21cm tin cake or about 12 cupcakes
- 1 cup sugar
- 125g Olivani
- 3 large eggs
- 1 large or two small oranges
- 1 cup tapioca flour
- 3/4 cup rice flour
- 2tsp baking powder
- 1tsp guar gum
- 1 Tbsp lemon juice
- Preheat oven to 180C (170C fanbake), with the rack just below the middle.
- Line a (7-8 cup capacity) 21cm ring pan with baking paper.
- Thinly peel the orange with a vegetable peeler.
- Put the peel in a food processor with the sugar and process until finely chopped.
- Add the Olivani and the eggs, and process until thoroughly mixed.
- Measure in the flours
- Add the juice from the orange/s made up to 1/2 cup with water, and the lemon juice.
- Process briefly, just enough to mix
- Spoon into the ring pan.
- Bake for 35-50 minutes, until skewer in the middle comes out clean.
- Leave to stand for 5-10 minutes, then remove from the pan.
- Invert on a rack, and dust generously with icing sugar or when cool, spread with orange or lemon icing (recipe to follow).
- Divide the mixture between 12 (or so) paper lined muffin cups
- Fill each cup about two thirds full.
- Bake at 180C for 10-12 minutes or until firm when pressed lightly in the centre.
- When cool, ice with lemon icing, if desired.
1 cup sifted icing sugar
1 Tbsp Olivani
1 1/2 Tbsp lemon juice
Mix all ingredients together to make a soft icing.
Source: Simon and Alison Holst's Gluten Free Baking